Acceptance



Acceptance is a very common word yet hard to adapt in one’s life.  A phrase in one of my favorite prayers states “Lord, grant me the serenity to accept with patience the things I cannot change and the wisdom to know the difference..” Every word in that phrase has a substance which makes it meaningful.  

How can you easily accept a bad experience, tragedy or loss?  I guess that’s why the grieving process makes sense. It takes a long time to heal, forgive, forget and ultimately accept the fact that everything happens for a reason.Whether we like it or not, we don’t have a choice but to accept and deal with everything life has to offer.

When I was applying for a hotel job in Dubai, the CEO there asked me why I was job hunting there and not my home country. I replied to him “to try my luck” and he told me “there’s no such thing as luck, we make our own destiny.” He is absolutely true, as humans we are endowed with free choice to achieve what we want. However,  it doesn’t work all the time. What about those babies who were born with defects? It wasn’t their choice. Those who were born with a silver spoon, they are in fact lucky to have inherited their wealth and enjoy all the resources available to them while on the other side of the earth there are malnourished children in Africa and other third world countries who have barely something to ingest in their stomach.

Life is unfair but the more we think of the sad truth is the more that we drown ourselves to sadness which makes it even harder to attain our goals.

As of now, I am in the stage of acceptance with my failures. The point is, it is better to have tried and failed than to have not tried at all. Life is a gamble as you know it. We should invest our time, effort and money in something we like despite uncertainties because it is the only reason to find out if that is meant for us or not.

Comments

Popular Posts