Climbing One of the World's Famous Bridges


Photo courtesy of http://www.bridgeclimb.com/


Bay Bridge, San Francisco, CA
Photo courtesy of http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2010/04/bay_bridge_eyebar.php

While I was watching the Bachelor show last week, there was a scene where Ben and one of the girls had to go bridge climbing at Bay Bridge in San Francisco, California.

It reminded me of the climb I had at Sydney Harbour Bridge also known as Darling Harbour Bridge. I’m really amazed that those bridges serve two purposes: as a connecting bridge between two different places, and a significant tourist attraction where people can climb and see the entire panoramic view of the city from the top.
During my first visit to Sydney, my twin cousins Lino and Lito gave me an unforgettable ticket to the climb of my life. I was a bit hesitant at that time climbing alone along with a group of strangers. Good thing I brought a lot of courage along with me then. If I had not done it, I would not have these huge pieces of wonderful memories that I’ll never forget as long as I live.
I had mixed emotions at that time, I was so nervous and excited. I wished they joined me so I had someone to talk to while I was petrified climbing the very steep bridge and looking at all the passing cars below. It was daytime when I had my climb in 2007, we wore brown uniforms with all those security harnesses attached to our bodies. I was looking at the bridge climb website, I'm surprised that they changed the outfit color from brown to blue. Perhaps they have several colors.  As we climbed we would stop once in a while to have our photo taken and I would strike a pose by myself.

Once we reached the top, it was so awe-inspiring being able to see Sydney in its entirety. I have heard that there are lots of couples who got engaged there.  I think it would be so cool to say "I do" at the top with the amazing view. It's an ultimate bonding experience and a test of endurance for the couple.

It took us about three hours for the journey. After the climb, I got a certificate stating that I climbed the Sydney Harbour Bridge. How amazing is that? Lino, who was working at that time at an advertising agency made several large copies/posters of my photos. I just hope those photos are still at home.


Comments

Popular Posts