To Nurses: Only Charting Can Save You

0906 April 22, 2020 - I along with my supervisor transferred a patient to the OR for a Right Femoral Bypass Grafting procedure.

Patient was partly confused, uncooperative, agitated on and off. He refused his medications all night and was unwilling to take off his own clothes to wear a gown.

I spoke to the daughter last night and was able to obtain verbal consent for the his procedure. Daughter was aware and have confirmed that he’s been increasingly confused even when he was at home, and even called 911 to get him picked up in the hospital.

Last night’s shift was super busy. There were 3 RNs, 1 CNA:17 patients. Call lights were non stop.

Before my shift ends in the morning, the Director called me in her office, along with the morning Supervisor serving as a witness.

As the discussion starts, she was interrogating me why I moved the patient in the OR unprepped. I told her that my Supervisor asked me to move him and was well aware that he was confused. He got the call from the OR and they were asking him to move him there ASAP.

She asked me condescendingly “What did you do the whole night? You did not use your critical thinking. Patient did not want any form of medication.

I should’ve, could’ve, would’ve. It’s hard to explain what I’ve been through with the patient. It was one of those nights that wherein I  did everything I could but no one will understand you unless you work at bedside.



Comments

  1. Sarah I wish you would do some more writing on how things are going with your life now ? I would love to know how you are doing , take care

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts