TIPS ON PASSING THE NCLEX


After sleepless nights of studying and familiarizing your anatomy, nursing skills, theories, and completing the hours of internship, now you’re wondering what to do. What’s the next step after you earned your Nursing degree? The struggle is not yet over. Preparing for the NCLEX is more precise, you have to focus on certain areas to pass it. You already have the foundation by having the knowledge and skills. It’s time to put everything in practice by being able to answer questions when you’re faced with real life situations.

I took the NCLEX four times. I’m not ashamed of it. Instead, it taught me not to take things for granted, and never give up on my goals. You worked so hard and spent so much money to get your degree. You don’t want to get stuck and waste those years that you put in. Act quickly on getting that golden license while everything is fresh in your mind.

I know how it feels to be comfortable and not think about drugs, anatomy, and diseases. I’ve been there for 5 years and living paycheck to paycheck by earning a minimum wage with too much workload. It wasn’t what I hoped for.

I finished Nursing as my second Bachelor’s degree in 2010, I’m a Registered Nurse in the Philippines but I only acquired my RN license in the US in 2016 this year. I had my reasons. Lots of things I dealt with like transcript transfer from the Philippines to US, CGFNS, Immigration process, passing the English proficiency test, and most of all financial difficulty. I didn’t have enough money to finance the NCLEX fees. 

Nursing is not for everyone. Many have tried and many gave up from the beginning of taking the course. It's ok to fail many times, don't loose hope. With you having the degree means you are SMART. It’s a MUST to get that license. Work hard to get it!

First take, I bought the Saunder’s book and focused on it. FAIL
Second take, I still focused on the book plus the Prioritization book. FAIL
Third, I took the practice tests on the CD. On the NCLEX, it gave me 200+ questions. I was close to passing.
Fourth, I took three online reviews plus one live review. I will not recommend all four. Only 2 were helpful for me.

So it was my last shot in Nevada, in this state you are only allowed 4 times. On the fourth time, the Board of Nursing required me to submit a passing rate on a predictor test.

I took the Excel review class. I didn’t ask nor researched I just assumed that at the end of the review they provide a predictor test but nope negative. It was one of those classes where the teacher talks for a little bit then you are provided with handouts to read. I paid $400+. It didn’t work out for me.

Second review. I paid for the ATI online review. Big mistake. I paid $500, there’s a coach that will guide you along your study. Coach gave me assignments with topics to focus on and answer. The waiting time to work on the assignment, sending it online to the coach, and waiting for her response was a huge waste of time. The format of the predictor questions was confusing and not even close to the real questions in NCLEX. I didn't like that I was almost finished with my review when out of the blue they changed my coach to a new one who didn't even have a clue about my progress.

So while I was reviewing for the test, I had a lot of things going on in my life. One major stressor was my most beloved brother acquired meningitis and got into a coma. Plus, fall outs in my relationship, and friendship. I was also in the middle of finding a place to live and moving all my things. Those were a lot to take in. Hardest point in my life. That’s why I’m every inch thankful that I was able to pass the NCLEX. Never forget that there’s always a light at the end of a tunnel no matter how long it may take you to reach it. Never ever give up.

If you are working while reviewing, give yourself at least 3 months to prepare for the NCLEX.

So the reviews that help me the most were:

1.     Elsevier online review ($75) took me 2 months – more detailed about the different systems.

After you finish Elsevier, the NCSBN review is like your finishing touch.
At this time, you should be taking *100 questions each day until the last day of your review.
You may start from the bottom modules of the NCSBN where the 100 questions are BUT don’t forget to finish all modules.

2.     NCSBN ($50) took me a month – for non working people, I say this review will take you to 3 weeks to finish. This is good for 30 days then after, you’ll loose access. Thanks to Karen, my brother's nurse in Canada who recommended it to me.

Remember: TEST-TAKING is the KEY. Be comfortable in answering test questions. Practice as many questions as you can.

Allot 3 hours of study time each day

Schedule your NCLEX around 10 or 11am

Do not take caffeine 2 weeks before your NCLEX

If you end up repeating what you read over and over, it means that your mind is tired and is trying to give you a signal that you have to rest.

Be confident. Focus on your goals. Have a dream board like, put a big RN as screensaver or background on your phone to remind you of what you are aiming for.
Staying positive and being confident means that you are preparing enough for what’s to come and putting your heart and soul to it.

Wake up early and try to read at least 30 minutes to an hour in the morning, and 3 hours in the evening.

Give yourself a break and don’t forget to relax. Never get anxiety take over you because it can ruin everything.

The day before your test, go out and watch a movie or something. No need to cram. I know it’s hard to get a good sleep but try to sleep well.

On the day, wake up early. Eat a light breakfast, and feel confident.

Eliminate 2 wrong choices on a question and pick the best on the other 2 choices. If you get confused, follow your instant gut! Do not spend so much time on one question. Don’t rush.
If you start to get nervous, breath in and out and say a quick prayer.


It was very fulfilling when I got my license. All my hard work paid off.
I passed it, you can do it too!








Comments

Popular Posts